Wednesday, June 18, 2008

C-Melody Saxophone

I recently posted about Dave Pietro and his appearance in Kansas City. In that post I mis-identified the instrument Pietro was playing that night. He was not playing an alto sax. He was playing a C-Melody horn. I realized my mistake once I read the liner notes of the Pietro CD's I bought subsequent to hearing him play. I feel embarrassed by my failure to correctly recognize the instrument.




I have a C-Melody Saxophone.















To not recognize this instrument at first blush is not a surprise. It could easily be confused with both the Alto and Tenor saxophones and hasn't been made since the 1930's.

















I do not know the precise provenance of this particular instrument beyond the facts that it has been in my possession for well over 20 years and in my family since the mid-70's, perhaps longer considering my father's long-ago exploits as a dance band leader in Des Moines, Iowa.
According to the C.G. Conn company's serial numbers, this horn dates to 1921. Other then replacing a few pieces of cork and a new reed, this horn is still good to go. My neighbors may think I have adopted some geese but I'm having fun honking on this old thing.


1 comment:

Alan Tucker said...

Never knew that Dave Pietro actually used his C-Mel 'live' - thanks for that.

Alan
http://csax.net